Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Australian elite soldiers accused of recklessly killing civilians during Afghan war

Categories

Share

A report has indicated that there is credible evidence that Australian special forces unlawfully killed 39 people during the Afghan conflict.

The information is contained in the Australian Defence Force document from a four-year inquiry into misconduct by its forces.

The inquiry investigated 57 incidents and heard from more than 300 witnesses.

It said nineteen current or former soldiers should be investigated by police over the killings of prisoners, farmers or civilians between 2009 and 2013.

Afghanistan said it had been assured by Australia that it is committed to ensuring justice.